My name is Chelsea Brooks. My home community is Indian Brook, Nova Scotia. I first started painting at the age of 2 years old!
My Dad, David J. Brooks was also a very great & well known Mi’kmaq Artist. His artwork is featured in the Art Gallery Of Nova Scotia, as well as the murals outside of the Native Friendship Centre in Halifax. He has and always will continue to inspire and influence my artwork! Read more about my work below!
- In grade two, I won second place at the Atlantic Aboriginal Art Contest in the Children’s Category. In the past few years, mine & my dads art was featured in Friends United, Art Shows and display at Casino Nova Scotia in Halifax.
- In July 2014, I helped designed an image used for shirts for the “Circle Of Hope” solidarity rally and press conference for missing and murdered aboriginal women and that event took place in Halifax, July 2014.
- In October 2014, I had the opportunity to have one of my paintings on the front cover of the “Canadian Aboriginal Books For Schools Catalogue” 2014-2015 edition. 12,000 copies went out to schools across Canada.
- I did an interview for CBC News Radio Show – Atlantic Voice. They titled my story “Her Fathers Spirit”. October 2014.
- I have an article “Youth Profile” in the December 2014 issue of Na’teliaq Newsletter. http://kinu.ca/
- Art Display at Dalhousie University Indigenous Blacks & Mi’kmaq Initiative Gala. January 2014.
- Chelsea Brooks & David Brooks Art in 2015 NSCC School Of Fisheries – Millbrook Customized Fishing Training: Level One Book.
- My painting titled “Mrs. Universe” 12×12′ acrylic on canvas painting was sold to newly titled MRS. UNIVERSE 2015, Ashley Burnham Callingbull.
Sending love & positive energy to all, Anything is possible – Achieve greatness ! ♥